[nSLUG] ffmpeg sync issues

Rich budman85 at eastlink.ca
Tue Nov 13 15:59:39 AST 2007

Ian Campbell wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 11, 2007 at 10:06:57AM -0400, Herb wrote:
>
>> Anyone here having issues with video falling out of sync when using
>> ffmpeg? There is evidence of it on various groups, but no one is
>> offering up any possible reasons or solutions.
>>
>> I'm trying to build a dvd of short clips from various sources, some of
>> which I'm editing in kino before exporting as a vob. Export from kino
>> works fine but converting to dv, or any other format, using ffmpeg
>> drops the video out of sync.
>>

> It may depend on what kind of mangling you or ffmpeg are doing to the
> video. Deinterlacing or IVTC can cause synching problems depending on
> how they're done... should only happen if the framerate changes, but
> I'm sure there are other possible causes.

Thinking about hardware... how much RAM do you have free, as well as
where you are reading and writing.
If you have two hard drives, on separate controllers, try reading from
one and writing to another.
Its possible the hardware is having issues trying to stream and decode
while writing.

I setup a work share on my fastest drives - this works fine, I hardly
get sync errors.
Also, try dropping some apps while decoding, especially the resource
hungry.  If you system starts to swap,
while decoding, that could be where you seeing the sync issues.

Rich