[nSLUG] Re: Cleaning out my desk...

Mike Spencer mspencer at tallships.ca
Sun Nov 11 15:25:40 AST 2007

George> Fortran fixed-form source format and it would be easier to
George> explain if I could illustrate using a punched card.

Robin> I remember booting (IPL'ing) IBM mainframes back when these
Robin> large disk arrays were still around.

dguptil> Did you DASDI the drum first?

Ha!  Beginning to sound like alt.folklore.computers around here.
Makes me feel a litle less like an Old Geezer hanging out with the
kids. :-)

OTOH, I wrote exactly one very tiny program in Fortran on cards and
then didn't touch another computer for, oh, maybe 20 years.  Missed
all that exciting stuff in the 70s.

K> I always wanted to try programming with punch cards.  I guess that
K> makes me one of the crazy youngsters.

Well, if you're old and grizzled enough that you have a working copy
of MS-DOS on a VGA-capable machine, do I ever have something for you:
a retro line editor somewhat less sophisticated than ed but which
displays an IBM card being punched as you type.  Saves the "deck",
allows you to re-arange the "cards" (somewhat clunkily, but how else?)
etc.

I just dug up the source from an old floppy last night.  Maybe, now
that I have Allegro, I can port it to Linux.  Real Soon Now.

Depending on your frame of mind, you will:

   + think it's insanely funny, or

   + think I'm insane for having done it, or

   + want the source so you can add other card formats. ;-)

Oh well, I'm snowed in and procratinating.  Next stop, shovel snow and
remove downed apple tree.

- Mike

                                                           /V\