[nSLUG] Ubuntu crash with scp.

Rich budman85 at eastlink.ca
Fri Nov 9 10:52:57 AST 2007

Mike Spencer wrote:

> I'm in that state now as I write.  I got there before I read your
> message.  So I'm going to have to do this intentional wedge-up all
> over again and see if what you say is precisely correct.  Ho hum.

Also try this:

NAME
       savetextmode,  textmode  - save or restore the complete SVGA
status for
       textmode.

SYNOPSIS
       savetextmode
       textmode

DESCRIPTION
       textmode.

SYNOPSIS
       savetextmode
       textmode

DESCRIPTION
       These are simple scripts to  save  the  SVGA  register  state
when  in
       textmode  to the files /tmp/fontdata and /tmp/textregs or to
restore it
       from these files.

       The actual utilities used are restorefont(1),
restoretextmode(1),  and
       restorepalette(1).

       The  purpose  of  these  scripts  program  is usually to recover
from a
       crashed console due to an svgalib, Xfree or other program bug.

       You do this by being a smart guy and running savetextmode  right
after
       booting  of your machine, prior to any problems. Then, in case
the SVGA
       state is hosed and you sit in front of  a  blank  or  useless
console,
       change  VC (maybe login) to get to a shell. Or exist the
currently run-
       ning  program  with  <Ctrl>-C,  <Ctrl>-<Alt>-<Backspace>,  or
whatever
       applies.  Once you got a shell, run textmode and it will
hopefully ren-
       der your console useable again.