[nSLUG] Re: Ubuntu crash with scp.

Mike Spencer mspencer at tallships.ca
Fri Nov 9 02:54:00 AST 2007

me> I keep Java disabled nearly all the time.

Rich> What about Java-Da-Script   Its ugly ... son... :P

Yes, that that, too, although I turn it on more often than Java.

Rich> Oh wait, you should be running 4.79 if you can find it.

Ah!  What?  Well, Netscape 4.76 was the last/latest version I could
find that as just "Navigator", not "Communicator".  They were going on
to later versions but not as stand-alone Navigator.  I don't want my
browser to even be *able* to send mail, let alone news and all the
other stuff in "Communicator".  So now that you say
that...tikky-tikki-google-click...

I see there's a Navigator 4.79 RPM.  Oh.  Where did that come from?
Okay, I'm downloading it from ftp.pbone.net as I write.

Rich> Could be a memory leak.

That's consistent with what I see but I have no idea how to confirm it.

Rich> The point of the key map is the keyboard is still active, just
Rich> that X is blind.

Well, I just went out and found a site that would hang Netscape & X on
Host A.

The keyboard does nothing.  That is, CTRL-ALT-Fn makes no change on
the screen.  Mouse cursor is locked.

If I then telnet in from another box (Host B) and type startx in the
telnet session, X starts on Host A.  I then have control of the X
session/display from Host A's keyboard and mouse.  I can now kill the
X session from Host A's keyboard by typing ^D in the X login xterm.
But the result is a empty black screen.

I now have access via ALT-Fn (n=[1-6]) to the 6 default consoles but
nothing shows on the screen.  Typing, say, ALT-F6, shows no login
prompt.  But if I go through the login steps blind and type startx
blind, X starts up fine.  Then I can type CTRL-ALT-F2 (say) and get
another black console screen with nothing on it.  Going through the
login steps blind again apparently gets me a login because, after
reverting to X in console 7, I can see that /dev/tty2 now belongs to
me.

I'm in that state now as I write.  I got there before I read your
message.  So I'm going to have to do this intentional wedge-up all
over again and see if what you say is precisely correct.  Ho hum.

Why would I want an iPhone or an X-box when I have sooo many funnn
things to do with an old PIII?  :-)

Tnx,
- Mike

                                                           /V\