[nSLUG] Re: Ubuntu crash with scp.

Mike Spencer mspencer at tallships.ca
Fri Nov 9 00:34:10 AST 2007

me> ...known to have bugs (Netscape 4.76) appears to provoke a lockup.
me> No screen activity and no response to mouse & keyboard.

Rich> Hmm.. I remember those days... it seemed to be the virtual
Rich> machines that java was spawning.

Um, well, probably not for me.  I keep Java disabled nearly all the
time .  I've used it maybe 4 times.  (The only time it really
mattered, in fact, my Java package, even using Firefox, wasn't new
enough to do what was needed.)

Rich> You can try mapping a key mapping -   Ctrl-Alt-Esc  to xkill

Well, I never thought of doing that and it's a useful idea. My WM
(twm) has a popup menu in the RootWindow that does that.  But in this
problem case, there's *no* response from the keyboard at all,
apparently because by the time I know I need to kill Netscape, it has
already died, along with X, leaving the keyboard cut off from the
system.

> If you have a 2nd machine, telneting into your machine and killing
> netscape works.

No, the question is: If I telnet in from another machine and find
Netscape and X already dead, how do I force the system to return
control to the console?

Dang, now that I've explained this a few times, I'm just going to have
to go out and look for a site that does this lockup thing, wedge my
system on purpose and then experiment with it more than I have.

Thanks for the motivation. :-)

- Mike
                                                           /V\