[nSLUG] Ubuntu crash with scp.

David Payne david at payneful.ca
Thu Nov 8 10:21:25 AST 2007

On Thu, Nov 08, 2007 at 09:14:12AM -0400, William Lachance wrote:

> On Thu, 2007-11-08 at 07:48 -0500, Stephen Gregory wrote:
> >
> > > Often this sort of thing is caused by bad memory. I highly recommend
> > > running memtest86 (available as a bootup option through grub).
> >

> > Unfortunately memtest86 cannot detect a large number of RAM
> > errors. This is not a limitation of the software, but a limitation of
> > the hardware. Memtest can detect bit errors, but cannot push the RAM
> > hard enough to detect timing errors. More then once I have had
> > definate RAM errors that memtest did not detect. All this to say that
> > a pass in memtest does not mean your RAM is good.
>
> Yes, but conversely, a fail with memtest86 definitely means there's some
> problem with the RAM, and the diagnosis is much more conclusive than the
> one you'd get with some of the other crazy suggestions that have been
> put up here so far. :) When troubleshooting, I like to start with the
> basics.

Hey,

memtest has fails.  I guess it's a good thing that I found
the problem rather than trying all the other stuff that
could go wrong.  I have 2 sticks of ram in right now.  I'm
going to test each one separately.

Thanks for the great tip.  I knew about memtest but not sure
I would have came up with that myself.

David