[nSLUG] Ubuntu crash with scp.

William Lachance wrlach at gmail.com
Thu Nov 8 09:14:12 AST 2007

On Thu, 2007-11-08 at 07:48 -0500, Stephen Gregory wrote:

> > Often this sort of thing is caused by bad memory. I highly recommend
> > running memtest86 (available as a bootup option through grub).
>

> Unfortunately memtest86 cannot detect a large number of RAM
> errors. This is not a limitation of the software, but a limitation of
> the hardware. Memtest can detect bit errors, but cannot push the RAM
> hard enough to detect timing errors. More then once I have had
> definate RAM errors that memtest did not detect. All this to say that
> a pass in memtest does not mean your RAM is good.

Yes, but conversely, a fail with memtest86 definitely means there's some
problem with the RAM, and the diagnosis is much more conclusive than the
one you'd get with some of the other crazy suggestions that have been
put up here so far. :) When troubleshooting, I like to start with the
basics.
--
William Lachance <wrlach at gmail.com>