[nSLUG] Ubuntu crash with scp.

Dop Ganger nslug at fop.ns.ca
Thu Nov 8 08:46:41 AST 2007

On Wed, 7 Nov 2007, David Payne wrote:

> I have a fairly recent system.  It has a Gigabyte S-Series
> M61VME-S2 (rev.2.0) motherboard with a onboard ethernet.
> Realtek 8201 phy (10/100 Mbit).

Realtek cards tend to be pretty dire, and their interrupt handling is a
little... naive under heavy use. I've had problems in the past with them
whacking the PCI bus so hard it caused problems with other devices. I've
never used a Realtek PHY, though. If you have a spare NIC that's half
decent (Intel eepro or the like) it might be worth chucking that in to see
if it helps. watch -n 1 cat /proc/interrupts can also be mildly amusing.

Cheers... Dop.