[nSLUG] Ubuntu crash with scp.

Stephen Gregory nslug at kernelpanic.ca
Thu Nov 8 08:48:03 AST 2007

On Wed, Nov 07, 2007 at 10:38:24PM -0400, William Lachance wrote:

> Often this sort of thing is caused by bad memory. I highly recommend
> running memtest86 (available as a bootup option through grub).

Unfortunately memtest86 cannot detect a large number of RAM
errors. This is not a limitation of the software, but a limitation of
the hardware. Memtest can detect bit errors, but cannot push the RAM
hard enough to detect timing errors. More then once I have had
definate RAM errors that memtest did not detect. All this to say that
a pass in memtest does not mean your RAM is good.

--
sg