[nSLUG] Ubuntu crash with scp.

D G Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Thu Nov 8 06:29:04 AST 2007

I'm not sure if you are talking about an actual lock up.
The kernel is still working if you are able to login remotely.
I've seen cases that appear to be frozen which eventually
release, given 10 minutes or so.

If you are killing X remotely and the keyboard still isn't
responsive that is odd.  Is it a PS/2 or USB keyboard?
Is there anything consuming CPU cycles when it happens?
Do you use suspend to disk/RAM?  Do you use proprietary
modules or wrapper modules like ndiswrapper?

Generally, you can tell a hardware issue by its randomness.
If the problem can't be correlated with software useage patterns,
then hardware can be suspected.  But if the problem happens
at a predictable point, then software (or kernel software)
is suspect.

You might want to test a non-bleeding edge kernel as well
and see if it works better with your hardware/software.
Most conservative Linux OS these days are running
something around 2.6.18-x.

--Donald