[nSLUG] Re: Ubuntu crash with scp.

Mike Spencer mspencer at tallships.ca
Wed Nov 7 23:19:10 AST 2007

David Payne <david at payneful.ca> wrote:

> My system has locked up twice while I was doing this....No error
> messages or nothing, just lock up.

I recently acquired a clue about a lockup situation and now need
another.  This may not be even tangentially related to David's
situation.  But I'll recount it and see what happens. :-)

I use Netscape Navigator 4.76 [1] and occasionally -- perhaps a half
dozen times a year -- the system begins to slow down while Netscape is
trying to render a page, slows to the point that cursor movements
occur a minute after the corresponding mouse movement.  Eventually the
system appears to lock up. Have to power down, I thought.

I finally discovered that the system itself is *not* locked up.  I can
telnet in from another (local) box and find that all is well except
that neither Netscape *nor X* is still running.  Apparently Netscape
fails in a way that crashes X and X exits without relinquishing
control of the screen, keyboard and mouse.  The result: There is
nothing that the user can do from the keyboard or mouse to regain
control, including ALT-Fn console switch or CTRL-ALT-DEL.

Is is possible, David, that you've had something similar happen with X
so that you lose the Ubuntu user interface while the system is still
okay?  Probably not but it's one notion to consider.

In my case, I did a proper shutdown -r over the telnet connection. Now
I wonder if I could have recovered console control by using
deallocvt(1) via the telnet login.  Is this something everybody else
has seen and knows how to deal with gracefully?

(I don't have /proc/sys/kernel/sysrq or /proc/sysrq-trigger files,
from which I infer my kernel was compiled without CONFIG_MAGIC_SYSRQ.
Would an enabled SysRq magic key work around this?)

- Mike

[1] Someone has already sneered at me in a previous post for using an
    old browser.  That's not the relevant matter here so we can skip that.

                                                           /V\