[nSLUG] Ubuntu crash with scp.

David Payne david at payneful.ca
Wed Nov 7 21:31:59 AST 2007

On Wed, Nov 07, 2007 at 08:22:31PM -0400, George N. White III wrote:
> On 11/7/07, David Payne <david at payneful.ca> wrote:
> This week, my first suspicion would be power fluctuations.  Are both
> systems and the network all on UPS's?
>
> In the past I have similar issues with unix.  Tracking down the
> problem involved way too much work: finding a way to reproduce the
> problem and then finding space (this was when 9G was the largest SCSI
> disk you could get) for huge process logs and network packets dumps
> and waiding thru them to find the smoking gun.

Hi,

I'm afraid it's not power fluctuations.  I am on an
internship in Markham, Ontario.  I'm on this list because
I'm from Nova Scotia and I'm going to come back after the
internship is over.  They didn't have the same power
problems up here.  The systems are not on a UPS so that
still could be the problem.

> Perhaps check dmesg output and syslog?  Just a thought!

A quick look at dmesg | less and I could not find anything
that looked out of the ordinary.  Also looking in
/var/log/messages I could not really find anything that
pointed to a error, but I'm not 100% sure what I'm looking
for.  I think I see where the system restarted:

Nov  7 17:26:04 kit -- MARK --
Nov  7 17:46:04 kit -- MARK --
Nov  7 18:06:04 kit -- MARK --
Nov  7 18:26:05 kit -- MARK --
Nov  7 18:46:05 kit -- MARK --
Nov  7 18:47:22 kit syslogd 1.4.1#21ubuntu3: restart.
Nov  7 18:47:23 kit kernel: Inspecting
/boot/System.map-2.6.22-14-generic
Nov  7 18:47:23 kit kernel: Loaded 26084 symbols from
/boot/System.map-2.6.22-14-generic.
Nov  7 18:47:23 kit kernel: Symbols match kernel version
2.6.22.
Nov  7 18:47:23 kit kernel: No module symbols loaded -
kernel modules not enabled.

There is nothing that would indicate an error before that
time.

Thanks,

David