[nSLUG] Fedora Release (Candidate) 8rc3 user experiences

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Wed Nov 7 20:17:08 AST 2007

I've been checking out Fedora Release 8 to make sure I can build and run
some applications we use in teaching.  We use the R stats package and
a program that is compiled with fortran 9x (with both linux and WIn32
binaries
using mingw32).  I installed rc3 (which is expected to become the
final release tomorrow) on a Dell P4 system with 1G RAM.  So far this
has been the smoothest linux install ever.  The first "yum update" was
about 500MB, but was handled without the usual glitches with broken X,
conflicts, etc.   For me, the best part was that icedtea (open sourced
jvm) worked for installing Sun Workshop 12 and to run the IDE and
Netbeans.   In the past it has always needed RTFM to install and
configure a JVM that Sun would accept, and then dependency issues with
packages expecting gcj.  Icedtea has null stubs for sound and a few
other capabilities that I don't need, so it won't work for everyone,
but it is nice to see that open Java is already useful.   (btw -- the
Fedora 8 rpms also work in Fedora 7).

A note on building win32 command line fortran apps:

There are now recent mingw32 GCC versions in Fedora 7 rpm form.
These also work in Fedora 8.  It takes a few simple changes to the
Makefile to generate Win32 .exe files, and the programs can be tested
without leaving linux using Wine.

My biggest issue with RH is that they are still providing teTeX, while Debian
has moved to texlive.  In fairness, RH teTeX incudes the Japanese ptex which
may eventually be replaced by xetex in texlive, but in the interim
there are people who still rely on ptex.

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia