[nSLUG] Configuring wireless-G on a laptop

Jack Warkentin jwark at eastlink.ca
Mon Nov 5 19:47:39 AST 2007

Hi Barry

When I installed Debian Lenny on my laptop I discovered that there were
several drivers missing, so the first thing you need to do is make sure
that the necessary driver is loaded.

ifconfig -a

will tell you all of the network interfaces that the kernel knows about.
If your wireless card is not included you know that the driver is
missing. If you still have your Windows installation available, you may
be able to discover enough information about your wireless card from XP,
so you can make sure to install the correct driver. It's not just the
make and model you need but the chip set.

I have found that the easiest way to manage network cards is via the
ifupdown package. With this method (which I believe Debian uses by
default) each network interface is managed by a "stanza" in the
/etc/network/interfaces file (see man 5 interfaces) and cards are
brought up and down using the ifup and ifdown commands (see man 8
ifup/man 8 ifdown). (The ifup and ifdown commands are normally executed
at boot and shutdown times respectively.) The file
/usr/share/doc/ifupdown/examples/network-interfaces.gz has some useful
examples. My /etc/network/interfaces file consists of

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface - the Ralink rt2500 wireless interface
auto eth2
iface eth2 inet dhcp

# The (wired) gigabit ethernet interface
allow-hotplug eth1
iface eth1 inet dhcp

I hope this helps. If it gets you further along and you need some more
info ask again.

Regards

jack