[nSLUG] Power Loss and UPSs

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Mon Nov 5 11:04:38 AST 2007

On 11/5/07, Greg Estabrooks <greg at phaze.org> wrote:

>  Anyone know what decent generators run these days that run for at least
> 6 hours? If they are cheap enough I might pick one up and keep it around
> for days like this.

DFO has small generators located at emergency shelters in the North.
They are diesel because gasoline has a short shelf-life, but use a
small burner to heat the intake air to ensure they will start when
cold.    If your house has oil heat, a diesel generator makes a lot of
sense because it can use heating fuel.   Diesel gensets
are commonly used in marine applications and RV's -- you can find reconditioned
units, but I don't know how easy it is to find models with intake heaters.

Check with your insurance -- my company wanted more more for additional
insurance than a generator would cost.   Although many people do use
portable generators and extension cords, your insurance may not cover
you in the event
of an accident -- they want a proper changeover switch.   I think the reason is
people who were rigging double male cords to connect a generator to
the house wiring, which is hazardous to the the power company workers.

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia