[nSLUG] Power Loss and UPSs

D G Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Sun Nov 4 22:51:51 AST 2007

A backup power generator, and air conditioning that doesn't
involve copper water pipes on the ceilings over the servers,
are things people have planned and asked for repeatedly, but
those who spend the money have balked to act on.  We are just
recently given the green light for better air conditioning.

Hey, this summer I moved the cyrus email system for 4000
users from a Sun Ultra 2 running Solaris 6 on a bunch of 2 GB drives
to a modern Redhat server.  Last year, I moved
the inn news server off a dual P1-166 Mhz box into a clone
P4 system.  I can't complain though - these are interesting
tasks.  For the Sun box it is testimony to their memory bus
architecture that this 9 year old system could satisfy the needs of
thousands of email users.

--Donald