[nSLUG] When the power might be out for days

Rich budman85 at eastlink.ca
Sun Nov 4 14:44:56 AST 2007

Jason Kenney wrote:
> Hey,
>
> Gil: in some areas 9 days was not an exaggeration. I think it was 12
> days before I got power back. But I was living on a corner property
> and trees had fallen on lines on literally three immediate sides of my
> house! Two of the lines were even snapped! My neighbours down the
> street had power restored a lot quicker.

I recall the same issues with office downtown - lost connection for a
day or two,
but getting people in was the hard part.  Some had power, some didn't in
both Juans.

My family and I missed Juan by a few days. We were traveling to Nova
Scotia when it hit.
I was stuck at the border crossing because someone at head office
screwed up the paperwork. :)

4 days later...  we were on our way, and dealt with the tail winds
driving through Quebec.  That was fun - car in tow and 40mph winds...
going up hill... just glad it wasnt snowing, but hey October... northern
Quebec and New Brunswick.. what are the odds!  :P   Luckily we made it
through with no snow, only to arrive in Halifax with trees and wires
everywhere.   Interesting welcome.  I never got to see the area before
Juan hit. I heard it was a lot nicer.

What surprised me was after the downed lines, no one thought of running
the lines underground.
This may be why some areas had power only a day or two after.

I saw this in Kingston after the ice storm.  That was another storm I
missed by the skin of my teeth.
If I didn't leave when I did, I would have been stuck there for two
weeks.  The kids saved me branches in the freezer.
The ice radius on the branch was at least an inch thick.  A like twig,
no more than 1/4" in diameter, was nearly 2 inches with ice.
Imagine that everywhere.  After 2 weeks, the roads were open and it was
still only certain areas.

I was able to get back, and all I saw were trees snapped in half, 100ft
trees rooted, large oaks 12 feet in diameter split in half or toppled.
Wires were everywhere... they looked like a snake pit... you couldn't
see the road there were so many wires laying on the ground on some streets.
The most awesome site were the power line towers - unreal to see them
crumpled up like match sticks.

What Kingston realized was the only areas that were not affected by the
Ice Storm, were all the subdivisions that had power underground.
So they made a decision instead of repairing the old infrastructure,
they would put everything underground.  Services were restored,
but over the next couple of years they put everything underground.
There are no wires above ground any more.

I think most of Kingston was without power for 20+ days, and months in
rural areas in Quebec.  Many people died and a lot of livestock was lost.
Even store owners became opportunists, marking up canned goods.  The
newspaper got wind of it, and people boycotted the store
so much it drove them out of business.  This was a large chain, they
eventually were bought by Providgo. (spellling)