[nSLUG] When the power might be out for days

Aaron Spanik a.spanik at ns.sympatico.ca
Sun Nov 4 01:39:42 ADT 2007

On Sat, 3 Nov 2007 21:27:13 -0300
"D G Teed" <donald.teed at gmail.com> wrote:

> Halifax might come through this fine.  I'm concerned for the
> Valley region because our trees did not get a shake down from Juan.
> This time we are on the east side of the eye, where winds
> can be twice that on the west end.  It looks like 2 AM
> or thereabouts will be a peak zone for the Valley area.
> At that time, peak winds will be at about 140 KM/H.

I remember Juan in the Valley as simply, "a very rainy & windy night."
In fact, I was quite shocked to find out it had been significantly more
than that in other places.

> Quoting the Canadian Hurricane Centre:
>
> } The public is advised not to focus on the actual track of the storm
> } centre since the high winds  and heavy rains will extend very far
> } from the track line itself.

The EC guy on the news tonight mentioned this and, further, was
pointing out that Noel and Juan simply should not be compared.  Juan was
far more intense (as mentioned, still fully a hurricane at landfall),
but very very much smaller. He was saying Noel's leading edge was at one
time today measured to be some 900km/h from the center, so despite the
overall lower severity, it's entirely possible that it will do even
more damage, and spread out over a much larger area.

/a

--
Aaron Spanik
a.spanik at ns.sympatico.ca