[nSLUG] When the power might be out for days

D G Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Sat Nov 3 18:29:24 ADT 2007

On 11/3/07, Ian Campbell <ian at slu.ms> wrote:
> It sounds to me like the answer was in your question.

Well, what I'd do and what we do are two different things :-)
That is why I sometimes seek opinions and experience here to verify
I am not an Ardvark in my evaluations of where we should act.

I was curious if any sites without generators just power
down their servers when they see a storm like this one
coming.

> A generator is almost certainly infeasible for small businesses (not
> to mention the maintenance required, checking to make sure it actually
> fails over, and then hoping that it fails over when it has to...), but
> a decent UPS is not.
>
> Presumably if you have "key business systems" you can afford a better
> UPS. Even most relatively cheap UPSes can be polled.

We have a new UPS, but I think ours came from the Dollarama.
They are just starting to evaluate the client software now,
but the information on how to configure the sort of parameters
I've seen for APC client software is nil.

My best approximation of what we could do, is to run an APC
brand device somehere, just to be able to have something to poll
from many platforms with apcupsd.  But I'd need to convince
the superior, who distrusts open source, that this would be
trustable software.

In any case, it is too late for tonight to implement a solution, so
I've given them enough rope to hang themselves (I've already
tried reason, but they seem to act as if I'm going outside of
my role to think like a manager) and I'll just see what happens.

--Donald