[nSLUG] When the power might be out for days

Dop Ganger nslug at fop.ns.ca
Sat Nov 3 16:54:41 ADT 2007

On Sat, 3 Nov 2007, D G Teed wrote:

> There are potential challenges getting to a site
> in that situation: trees may block roads, driving
> through heavy storms at night can be dangerous.
> The chances of having remote login from our
> home ISPs is not likely to be an option with the
> power loss.

In the last major outage with White Juan I was able to manage all the
servers at the office using my Treo. I used ssh to log into the boxes
remotely and kept everything going for the 3 or 4 days while I couldn't
get downtown. I was mildly surprised that while cellular voice service was
patchy, data service didn't have a problem.

The backup tapes didn't get changed, mind... ;-)

Cheers... Dop.