[nSLUG] When the power might be out for days

Ian Campbell ian at slu.ms
Sat Nov 3 15:43:53 ADT 2007

On Sat, Nov 03, 2007 at 03:33:41PM -0300, D G Teed wrote:
> In recent history there are a couple of times
> significant chunks of N.S. lost power for a duration
> of up to 2 or 3 days.  For those with UPS but no
> backup generators nor UPS software, this
> means servers should be shutdown soon after
> the lights go out.
>
> Has anyone in a similar situation shut down their
> servers in anticipation of a power loss, or shutdown
> key business systems which are not in use anyway
> at that time of day?
>
> Has anyone who faced something
> like this from recent history adopted a new
> plan for how to deal with the potential for
> long term power loss?

It sounds to me like the answer was in your question.

A generator is almost certainly infeasible for small businesses (not
to mention the maintenance required, checking to make sure it actually
fails over, and then hoping that it fails over when it has to...), but
a decent UPS is not.

Presumably if you have "key business systems" you can afford a better
UPS. Even most relatively cheap UPSes can be polled.