[nSLUG] crontab help

Gerard MacNeil aa030 at chebucto.ns.ca
Fri Nov 2 15:24:05 ADT 2007

On Fri, 2007-11-02 at 14:47 -0300, Rick Burdon wrote:

>         #crontab -e -u vikram
>         skipping 14 old session files
>         reading /var/spool/cron/crontab.24785
>         Read /var/spool/cron/crontab.24785, 0 lines, 0 chars
>
>         What gives?

'crontab -e' is for the traditional Unix cron daemon.  You are in an
editor with an empty crontab for user 'vikram', which is as it should be
unless you put anything in there.  In all likelihood the system crontab
is also empty ... at least my Debian distribution is shipped that way.

I thought most distributions (including Debian) use Vixie Cron, a latter
generation that uses file snippets from /etc/cron.*/* updated with any
text editor.

Gerard