[nSLUG] Looking for Tripwire Subject Matter Expert

Stephen Gregory nslug at kernelpanic.ca
Fri Nov 2 11:51:02 ADT 2007

On Fri, Nov 02, 2007 at 09:41:50AM -0400, Joe Dunn wrote:

> If you go with a tarball your just going against the whole idea of using a
> system with package management.

I agree with Joe. You should use an rpm instead of a tar file. I
recently started making deb files for my internal packages. In the
past I used tar files because I thought it was easier. It turns out
that building a deb is pretty easy once you figure out how to do it. I
suspect that building and rpm would be just as easy. In the short term
the packaged rpm/deb offers little benefit. But in the long term it
makes it easier to update or modify what is installed.

--
sg