[nSLUG] [NSLUG] Re: Learning TEX

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Tue May 29 08:29:43 ADT 2007

On 5/29/07, Mike Spencer <mspencer at tallships.ca> wrote:

> (Interesting: the PDF is 2 meg, the gzipped tex src is 200k.  It would
> be even smaller if it were plain ASCII without the TEX markup.)

The file uses a many (roughly 80) different fonts.    I suspect a big part of
the 2M is font data.  At one time, people worked hard to get pdf's that used
the Adobe base fonts, but then Adobe changed the fonts they use (so you
create a PDF that specifies Times and Helvetica, but you got Times New
Roman and Arial.  These days you get Myriad and Minion.   There are
slight differences
in glyph shape, but more serious differences for Helvetica Oblique (a
"synthetic" font generated by applying a skew transform to Helvetica)
and Arial Italic -- things like "()[]{}|\/" are slanted in Helvetica
Oblique, but upright in Arial Italic.  Just
to keep you on your toes, the Adobe fonts are often replaced with the
URW clones (in ghostscript, xpdf, and apparition).

All this means that most people no longer bother avoiding font embedding.
Many publishers insist that you embed the fonts.

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia