[nSLUG] Re: GIMP Help

Mike Spencer mspencer at tallships.ca
Thu May 17 02:53:13 ADT 2007

Bill-M> There is a book "Grokking the GIMP".  See it on-line at
Bill-M> http://gimp-savvy.com/BOOK/index.html

I hate their do-it-our-way compulsory js but the content is great,
better than the Gimp distro docs.  Guess I'll lug the laptop to the
library in Bilgewater and d/l the 40 meg "book" in the hope that I can
defeat the js once I have it on my HD.  Thanks for the pointer.

> It probably tells you how to do the stuff you have already done.

Yes, and a lot of stuff about panorama stitching that I didn't need,
too.  I was hoping for a command line tool that would do the whole
works without supervision.  But, with extra clues from kindly NSLUG
gurus, I was able to do the first 20 images with minimal pain.
Stitching the original 200 dpi scans worked great and scaling to 30%
elided the few small errors.

If anybody's interested, these images are from a portfolio of drawings
of late 17th and early 18th c. English ironwork -- the kind of stuff
that Daniel Waterhouse would have seen his buddy Sir Christopher Wren
putting up with the help of Jean Tijou after the Great Fire. :-)

Tnx,
- Mike

                                                           /V\