[nSLUG] Gimp help? (Re: Image utility for Linux?)

Rich budman85 at eastlink.ca
Wed May 16 00:27:40 ADT 2007

Mike Spencer wrote:
> So I need help with Gimp.  Other stitching options weren't adequate
> (some details below if anyone is interested) so I'm reduced to doing
> it manually, one image at a time, with Gimp.
>
> Here's my problem:
>
>     + Working with two PGM images, A & B, that have substantial overlap,
>
>     + Open image A in a Gimp window
>
>     + Open image B (same height but narrower, overlaps A) in another
>       Gimp window
>
>     + "Select->Select all" in B's window
>
>     + "Edit->Copy" in  B's window
>
>     + "Edit->Paste" in A's window
>
>           All of image B is copied to A's window as a floating layer.
>
>     +  Choose "Move layers..." from the tool menu
>
>     +  Manually align the floating copy of B with the part of A that it
>        overlaps in the A window.
>
>     + "Image->Fit canvas to layers" in the A window.
>

> This appears to work perfectly.  Now I need to make these two layers
> become all one image and save it.
>

> But I can't figure out how to do that.
>
>     - The "Display navigation" window shows exactly what I want but the
>       main, A window shows a checker board where the overlaid B image
>       is larger than the original A image.
>
>     - The "Image->Merge visible layers" and "Image->Flatten image"
>       options are grayed out.
>
>     - The "Layer->Anchor layer" option doesn't produce the desired
>       result.
>
>     - Saving the A image as a PGM brings up an offer to "export" the
>       image so as to merge the layers.  The saved result has white
>       where it's larger than the original A image.
>
>     - Other twiddles too numerous to list haven't helped.
>
> RT the huge, F html M?  Well, I've read part of it.  I'm still
> groveling around in it but haven't found an answer, other than that I
> should use the "Image->Flatten..." option which is unavailable --
> grayed out.
>
> Surely this is a commonplace move.  Any suggestions?  WHat am I
> missing?

Image A & B
    select All in say B, then copy it.
    click on New Layer - this should plop it down onto layer 2.

    Select Layer 2 then select the Move tool
    to position the image where you want.

    Then select the fit canvas to layers will expand the canvas.

    Once you get it where you want, you can now flatten the image.
    Then use the crop tool to clean up it up.

    see is that works. :)