[nSLUG] Gimp help? (Re: Image utility for Linux?)

Tyler Smith tyler.smith at mail.mcgill.ca
Wed May 16 01:22:20 ADT 2007

On Tue, May 15, 2007 at 11:40:28PM -0300, Mike Spencer wrote:

> So I need help with Gimp.  Other stitching options weren't adequate
> (some details below if anyone is interested) so I'm reduced to doing
> it manually, one image at a time, with Gimp.
>
>     + Open image A in a Gimp window
>
>     + Open image B (same height but narrower, overlaps A) in another
>       Gimp window

You could open image B as a layer in the image A window, which saves
you having to cut and paste it.

> This appears to work perfectly.  Now I need to make these two layers
> become all one image and save it.
>
> But I can't figure out how to do that.
>
>     - The "Display navigation" window shows exactly what I want but the
>       main, A window shows a checker board where the overlaid B image
>       is larger than the original A image.

The checkerboard is just the Gimps way of saying there's nothing there.

>     - The "Image->Merge visible layers" and "Image->Flatten image"
>       options are grayed out.

I don't know why this should be... on my experiments they are operable.

>     - Saving the A image as a PGM brings up an offer to "export" the
>       image so as to merge the layers.  The saved result has white
>       where it's larger than the original A image.

I don't think you can avoid this, as PGM apparently doesn't support
transparency. Something has to be there to fill out the image. If
white is unacceptable, perhaps you could add a black background
layer? Or alternatively you could use a format that does support
transparency, like png?

I'm having my own issues with the Gimp, so my advice may not be worth
much!

HTH,

Tyler

>     - Other twiddles too numerous to list haven't helped.
>
> RT the huge, F html M?  Well, I've read part of it.  I'm still
> groveling around in it but haven't found an answer, other than that I
> should use the "Image->Flatten..." option which is unavailable --
> grayed out.
>
> Surely this is a commonplace move.  Any suggestions?  WHat am I
> missing?
>

> ---
>
> FWIW:
>
>     pnmstitch, both the version in NetPBM and the one on SourceForge,
>     doesn't work.  At least for my images, it only produces a mess.
>
>     My homebrew hack in C works better than pnmstitch but not well
>     enough -- accurate to +/- 2 pixels in 1 image out of 20, else 10
>     to 20 pixels off.
>
>     Other apps appear to be huge packages designed to deal with the
>     arcana of color and contrast balance, lens distortion,
>     perspective, parallax, special problems in medical imaging
>     etc. etc., all way more complicated than my humble grayscale
>     scans.  Since downloads in the 10s of megabyte are difficult for
>     me, I've so far avoided them.
>
> Any pointers welcome, tnx,
> - Mike
>
> --