[nSLUG] RAID and partitioning

Daniel Morrison draker at gmail.com
Tue May 8 13:09:38 ADT 2007

On 08/05/07, D G Teed <donald.teed at gmail.com> wrote:
> Another recent innovation in mdadm is the ability to grow the raid device.
> Example and user experiences with this:
> http://scotgate.org/?p=107
>
> I'm thinking I'll prefer this over LVM or EVMS for something like email
> storage with capability to grow.

It's great that mdadm can grow a device.  But why "prefer this over LVM"?
The whole premise of LVM allows for growth.  In fact this is
complementary:

raw disks -> MD -> LVM -> filesystem.

Add a disk, grow the MD array, assign space to volumes within LVM, and
grow the appropriate filesystems.

Come to think of it, I'm _assuming_ there is a way to grow LVM's use of
the underlying RAID device... don't actually  know how that part would be
done... maybe "pvchange -x y /dev/md0" would do it?

-D.