[nSLUG] RAID and partitioning

Daniel Morrison draker at gmail.com
Sun May 6 17:10:05 ADT 2007

On 06/05/07, Bill Davidson <billdavidson at eastlink.ca> wrote:

> Yes, I considered that, and still am considering it.  One reason I
> thought of that is that I really only need about 32 megs for /boot, but
> I want more room for swap.  So if I'm making those partitions bigger
> (128 megs or more), why just put /boot on them, why not at least /
> and /boot?  You should be able to boot without /usr, but
> with /bin, /sbin, /etc, maybe /tmp.  Then I could have volumes
> for /usr, /var, and /home.

Yup, that sounds good.

> > > Now I just have to pick a distro...
> >
> > Slackware! :)
>
> You don't have to convince me, assuming the installer will deal OK with
> RAID and lvm.  I'm also considering Debian and Centos, both of which I
> have used before and like.

Well, the Slackware installer is different from most, in that after the
initial boot it dumps you into a shell and lets you setup your target
partitions (and source media too, if you want) yourself.  So you can
pretty much do anything if you know what you're doing.  On the other hand
_manually_ setting up md + lvm for any distro would be hard; so it is with
Slackware too.  There is a guide here (at least for lvm, adding md would
be an extra set of steps):
http://wiki.linuxquestions.org/wiki/Slackware-Guides#How_do_I_install_Slackware_on_a_with_LVM-partitions.3F

Note I haven't used this one myself, just googled for it.

If another distro has an automated method of setting LVM (I think
RHEL/CentOS does) and you don't have another reason to choose Slackware
then you may prefer the other.

> > > Oh, and does anybody have a line on a Voltage Regulator Module for a
> > > Dell Poweredge 1400SC?
> > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120116868198

> Nope, the 11GEF is for an earlier model and has a different connector.

Oh well, good luck with that.

-D.