[nSLUG] RAID and partitioning

Bill Davidson billdavidson at eastlink.ca
Sun May 6 16:36:08 ADT 2007

Hi:

Thanks for the feedback.

On Sun, 2007-05-06 at 16:08 -0300, Daniel Morrison wrote:
> Unlike with IDE, there's not much reason to spread the drives out over the
> two controllers (unless you have physical limitations, like not having a
> big enough cable for them all).  The controller should be able to operate
> them all at full speed on the same chain.

Yes, I read that somewhere, but I still instinctively feel like it has
to be "better" to use two cables instead of one...   And yes, the cables
have connectors for 4 drives.

>   If you later add a slow device
> (e.g. tape drive or cdrom) which cannot operate at Ultra 160, then the
> drives on the same controller as that device may have to operate more
> slowly.

Sadly, there is no budget for a tape drive at this time, but your point
is taken.  The CD is IDE, and I'll probably drop in a DVD burner to take
periodic backups (carefully scheduled for the day after a crash).

> Another alternative would be to use raid 1 for all of /, /boot, /usr and
> whatever else your OS needs, and then put only user data on the raid 5.

Yes, I considered that, and still am considering it.  One reason I
thought of that is that I really only need about 32 megs for /boot, but
I want more room for swap.  So if I'm making those partitions bigger
(128 megs or more), why just put /boot on them, why not at least /
and /boot?  You should be able to boot without /usr, but
with /bin, /sbin, /etc, maybe /tmp.  Then I could have volumes
for /usr, /var, and /home.

> > Now I just have to pick a distro...
>
> Slackware! :)

You don't have to convince me, assuming the installer will deal OK with
RAID and lvm.  I'm also considering Debian and Centos, both of which I
have used before and like.

> > Oh, and does anybody have a line on a Voltage Regulator Module for a
> > Dell Poweredge 1400SC?
>
> Not personally.  Maybe this would do?
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120116868198

Nope, the 11GEF is for an earlier model and has a different connector.
We have a parts elf out there now trying to track down the right one at
the right price (free) along with some more PC133 ECC registered RAM.

--
Bill Davidson <billdavidson at eastlink.ca>