[nSLUG] PHP - Sendmail - Postfix

Miles Thompson miles at allnovascotia.com
Sun May 6 14:53:12 ADT 2007

I'm putting together a Ubuntu server ( Edgy Eft) and during installation
picked Exim as the mail application. I then downloaded PHP 5.2 source files
and compiled PHP from source.

Since then I have removed Exim and set up postfix. I then tried to send
mail from PHP, which returned an error, that the mail() function was not
declared. V. strange, because mail() is a core PHP function.

So I have been wondering. One of the php.ini settings is the  "Path to
Sendmail", which I set to the path to postfix. (Sendmail was installed on
the system by default, but ps aux | grep sendmail returns nothing but my
query. So it is not running.)

I located sendmail, and did a ls -l, wondering if it was symlinked to
postfix. Nope, standalone executable.

Over on the php-general list someone suggested that sendmail had to be
running when PHP was compiled. That does not make sense.

Does anyone have any ideas? I know postfix works and I can use it to send
mail from the command line. (I also set up the Mantis bug tracking
software, which uses phpMailer, and it will relay mail through a SMTP
server operated by a sister company.)

I'm puzzled, and do not have enough experience in this area to proceed
knowledgeably with a diagnosis.

Regards - Miles Thompson