[nSLUG] Japanese government promotes use of linux

D G Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Fri May 4 14:07:42 ADT 2007

On 5/4/07, Ian Campbell <ian at slu.ms> wrote:

> Whoa, don't they know that open source confuses and intimidates CIOs?

If you are having fun with the thread that was going on here for awhile,
that paraphrase is not what was said.

It is pointless to make mockery of the synopsis of decision
making I've outlined.  It really happened.  Redhat's
corporate popularity demonstrates it is pretty common.
I wish you could have witnessed it and the discussion
I heard about "basement hackers" and who makes open
source software.  Just because it sounds stupid doesn't
mean that it doesn't happen.  Look at how many people believed
Iraq had something to do with the attacks of 9/11!

Anyway, it remains to be seen whether the migration will really happen.
Israel and other governments have used announcements like it
to twist M$'s arm into much better licensing deals for them.

--Donald