[nSLUG] RAID and partitioning

Bill Davidson billdavidson at eastlink.ca
Fri May 4 12:09:42 ADT 2007

Hi:

I want to install Linux on an older server for my daughter's school, and
I lucked into a bunch of identical 36GB SCSI drives.  I want to set up a
RAID5 array.  I see that I can build a raid array from any block device,
either partitions (sda1 + sdb1 etc) or whole disks (sda + sdb etc).  I
am tempted to do it the second way since the disks are identical, then
partition the resulting md device, rather than partitioning a whole
bunch of disks and hoping I get them all exactly the same.  (If the
resulting array is called md0, what will the partitions be called, md01,
md02, etc?)  I've never done it this way before.

Does anyone have any thought about this, or suggestions as to why one
method would be superior to another?  My only thought is that I don't
really want swap on a RAID device, but I can throw in a small IDE drive
for swap.  OTOH, swap on RAID is more robust.

Any ideas or suggestions welcome.

--
Bill Davidson <billdavidson at eastlink.ca>