No subject

Thu May 3 16:06:15 ADT 2007

I rarely use the laser printer but when I do, it's an important letter
or a (typically longish) document or manual.  [2] Brother HL-641 works
fine but I couldn't find any way after RTFM and googling, to get CUPS
to talk to it meaningfully.  LPRNG works great, allows me to pipe data
through any one of several virtual lp devices -- filters -- depending
on the data and plugs into my wireless router so I can print from any
of 6 machines.

As an aside, if I can't google anything useful about some new
technology, I assume that will change in a month or two.  When it's
about something really old -- e.g Brother HL-641 -- I assume the
contrary, that likely there never will be anything more done on the
topic.  I got a real boot out of /etc/termcap circa 1990.  There were
entries for incredibly old and arcane terminals.  I contributed an
Osborne I entry :-) as I was using an Osborne to log into a Unix host
and run Emacs.

- Mike

[1] Or worse, with the hood welded shut.  I'll just have to see, when
    the time comes, if I can benefit from improved hardware handling
    while disabling Windoes-like behavior.

    In a follow-up to Love's article, Dave North (allegedly) wrote:

        Second, it's good to remember to give people an easy way to
        turn off automagic.... One thing that drives me nuts is my
        clumsy inability to find a way to get [my Mac] to not start the
        local photo import/viewing program if I plug my camera in. I
        have much better stuff (some of it written by my wife) that I
        prefer to use, just addressing the camera as a disk. But I
        have to wait through iPhoto first! Annoying.
        [snip]
        ...don't forget the "get out of jail free" key.

[2] I actually own a [gasp] working manual typewriter for doing
    official forms and the like.  But I have to get my wife to weave
    the ribbons and I make the ink from oak galls, gum arabic and
    melted pop bottles.

                                                           /V\