[nSLUG] Help with Aliant High-Speed

Gerard MacNeil aa030 at chebucto.ns.ca
Wed Mar 21 11:25:51 ADT 2007

On Wed, 2007-03-21 at 11:03 -0230, Jonathan Anderson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm an Aliant customer,

I simply used the debian package pppoeconf.  Worked like a charm ....
after Aliant got their act together. Hardware was configured (had to use
the bypass filter to use my phone), but the account was not completely
setup when I tried it first. Winders failed at first as well.

> Modified /etc/ppp/peers/dsl-provider:
> uncommented "user anderson1 at nf.aliant.net"
> added "debug" option

Interesting since I use 'ifup dsl-provider' to connect by hand (setup by
pppoeconf)

You would probably need a /etc/ppp/peers/aliant for 'ifup aliant' to
work.

> Added a couple of lines to /etc/network/interfaces:
>
> auto aliant inet ppp
>         provider dsl-provider
>         pre-up /sbin/ifconfig eth0 0.0.0.0 up

Mine looks like

auto dsl-provider
iface dsl-provider inet ppp
     provider dsl-provider
# please do not modify the following line
     pre-up /sbin/ifconfig eth0 up # line maintained by pppoeconf

> Thanks,
Your welcome.

Gerard

!DSPAM:4601477c159581079018031!