[nSLUG] Help with Aliant High-Speed

Ian Campbell ian at slu.ms
Wed Mar 21 11:10:09 ADT 2007

On Wed, Mar 21, 2007 at 11:03:56AM -0230, Jonathan Anderson wrote:
> I'm an Aliant customer, and this morning they (apparently) switched my
> residential DSL over from the old bridged Ethernet system to PPPoE. I'm
> trying to connect using Debian's pppoe package, but I'm not having a lot of
> success. Here's what I've done:

For what it's worth, new(ish) versions of pppd have support for pppoe,
so rp-pppoe isn't required. I'm not sure if those have found their way
into Debian yet.

> Mar 21 10:05:44 brogley pppoe[3144]: Timeout waiting for PADO packets

That usually means a problem with the physical link. It's a dumb
question, but are you getting sync? If you've got a wireless router or
something, has it already established a pppoe connection?

Another semi-obvious thing to check, make sure you're actually giving
pppd/rp-pppoe the right interface to use... make sure eth0 is actually
correct.

!DSPAM:46013cc1157313306812351!