[nSLUG] InstallFest 2007.2 - April 22

Ben Armstrong synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca
Wed Mar 21 10:40:53 ADT 2007

On Wed, 21 Mar 2007 10:05:52 -0300 (ADT)
Dop Ganger <nslug at fop.ns.ca> wrote:
> I tried that recently to build a custom distro for my laptop for warbiking
> and bombed out;

Not surprising.  live-helper is under heavy development.  It was recently
completely restructured, replacing the live-package package with live-helper,
which is still alpha phase (though already quite useful).  In spite of the
volatility of development, I favour it for these reasons:

http://wiki.debian.org/DebianLive/Why

> I found that deb2flash
> (http://feraga.com/project/deb2flash) worked well, though. It's not the
> most user friendly package in the world (you end up with a bare bootable
> Debian install that you can then chroot to install more packages, or boot
> directly) but it does the trick pretty efficiently. Once I had it up and
> running I was able to customise the distro (disabled most packages from
> starting up, disable unwanted hardware at the PCI layer, configure the
> display to completely turn off on lid close, turn off hard drive and
> cdrom) and I now get an extra hour or so out of the battery, which isn't
> too shabby.

Interesting!  Well, I'll see what ideas can be plundered for debian-live. :)

Ben
 ,-.  nSLUG    http://www.nslug.ns.ca   synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca
 \`'  Debian   http://www.debian.org    synrg at debian.org

!DSPAM:460135ee153948062178256!