[nSLUG] InstallFest 2007.2 - April 22

Dop Ganger nslug at fop.ns.ca
Wed Mar 21 10:05:52 ADT 2007

On Tue, 20 Mar 2007, Ben Armstrong wrote:

> I've been using http://debian-live.alioth.debian.org/ for this, building
> images for a 1G usb key, and have been working closely with the team to
> help improve the live-helper package (see my recent blog posts about
> this at http://syn.theti.ca/).

I tried that recently to build a custom distro for my laptop for warbiking
and bombed out; I found that deb2flash
(http://feraga.com/project/deb2flash) worked well, though. It's not the
most user friendly package in the world (you end up with a bare bootable
Debian install that you can then chroot to install more packages, or boot
directly) but it does the trick pretty efficiently. Once I had it up and
running I was able to customise the distro (disabled most packages from
starting up, disable unwanted hardware at the PCI layer, configure the
display to completely turn off on lid close, turn off hard drive and
cdrom) and I now get an extra hour or so out of the battery, which isn't
too shabby.

Results of the warbiking so far, for those who are interested, are at
http://carrot.impsolutions.com/halifaxwirelessmap.png .

Cheers... Dop.

!DSPAM:46012dc4149452072319222!