[nSLUG] InstallFest 2007.2 - April 22

Ben Armstrong synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca
Tue Mar 20 21:35:59 ADT 2007

On Tue, 20 Mar 2007 16:11:42 -0300
Chris Jordan <cjordan at cs.dal.ca> wrote:
> If you are planning to come out, whether it is to spectate or to work
> on a system, please send us an RSVP at events AT dal-acm DOT ca. If
> you are bringing a system, please include the system specs and what
> you want to do so our InstallFest volunteers can be ready.

I'm not sure if I'm available yet, but would building a custom live CD
from scratch (no remastering) directly from your favourite Debian (or
Ubuntu) mirror interest anyone?

I've been using http://debian-live.alioth.debian.org/ for this, building
images for a 1G usb key, and have been working closely with the team to
help improve the live-helper package (see my recent blog posts about
this at http://syn.theti.ca/).

During the last Dal/ACM installfest I tried a slightly different approach
with a friend (using Ubuntu) with less than wonderful results.  Although
we did manage to do it properly from home later, it irked me that instead
of pure Ubuntu I needed to "instrument" the standard Ubuntu CD with extra
stuff to make it work on a usb key.

Ben
 ,-.  nSLUG    http://www.nslug.ns.ca   synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca
 \`'  Debian   http://www.debian.org    synrg at debian.org