[nSLUG] Re: DST & tzdata

D G Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 07:38:27 AST 2007

On 3/5/07, Mike <mspencer at tallships.ca> wrote:

> DTeed> The DST solution for our zone in Olsen format requires running
> DTeed> the "backward" part of the zones to make links.  That is why it
> DTeed> appears to have missing stuff.
>
> I'm not sure I understand that.  The current file from nih.gov
> references and creates an America/Halifax zone file, which is the
> preferred name in the "backward" tzdata file.

The zone you absolutely need, is whatever your /etc/localtime links to.
It is the timezone you were prompted to set up when the OS was
installed.  For many of us, I think that is "Canada/Atlantic".
This determines what you should query against zdump.

Less frivolously, I really like to know as much as possible about
> what's going on anyhow, part of the reason I use Slackware.  So
> despite the extra fretting, I'm pleased that I now know more about how
> the zoneinfo stuff works.  I would never have seen or read the tzdata
> files if it had been easy to just slap a binary into place.  And just
> slapping a binary into place gives me the willies anyhow, because I
> have all sorts of idiosyncratic stuff on my system(s) and binary
> upgrade packages have been known to just bulldoze stuff away that I
> then have to tediously reconstruct from notes.  (At least I try to
> keep notes. :-)

The only thing you are missing by updating just zoneinfo is the
POSIX timezone support. It might potentially be an issue for something
like a database product which doesn't use the OS's concept of
timezone to work.  The POSIX timezone update requires a new
libc or glibc.  The slack package you need is likely called something
like zoneinfo or tzdata, or possibly even just libc, since
that could be a core part of the bundle.

DTeed> for i in africa antarctica asia australasia etcetera europe
> DTeed> northamerica pacificnew southamerica backward
> DTeed> do
> DTeed>   echo $i
> DTeed>   zic $i
> DTeed> done
>
> I'm now trying to decide whether to do something like that -- just blow
> the compiled files into the canonical directories -- or to run make on
> the NIH package and rebuild everything, including zic, zdump etc. as
> well as the binary zoneinfo files.

The above script has worked in my experience on Solaris 6,7 and
an unmaintainable (demo) Suse 9 Enterprise.  It is quick and painless.
It doesn't cover POSIX, since there is no libc stuff, but it works
for most of us.  They even include another script to set the time to
the critical point and test.

--Donald

!DSPAM:45ec104e282671717519121!