[nSLUG] DST & tzdata

Mike mspencer at tallships.ca
Sun Mar 4 04:10:49 AST 2007

Slackware seems not to have a patch or equivalent for the new DST
rules that GloboCop has ordered.  We're apparently being sucked
into the propwash.

So I fetched the tzdata files from:

   ftp://elsie.nci.nih.gov/pub/tzcode2007c.tar.gz

dated Mon Feb 26. Therein I note that the rules for America/Halifax
haven't been updated to the new dates and there is no Zone... line for
AST/ADT.  I think I understand from inference and the  zic(8) manpage
how to fix things up but...

Before I do that, does anybody know of any gotchas?  Is there an
authoritative Canadian site that has updated tzdata files for Canadian
zones?

More technical yet: Is there any reason why I can't compile just the
zoneinfo file for America/Halifax and put the binary into the
canonical zoneinfo directory without doing the other zone files?  My
own machine isn't a server and never moves out of the AST/ADT
zone. Does anything important regularly use the zoneinfo files for
*non-local* zones?  F'rgzample, if I get ntp running using a server in
Boston or Ontario, will ntp reference my local zoneinfo files for for
EST/ADT?

Ho hum. :-)

- Mike

                                                           /V\