[nSLUG] Possible Berwick Migration

Mark Lane lmlane at gmail.com
Fri Mar 2 18:57:19 AST 2007

On 3/2/07, D G Teed <donald.teed at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 3/2/07, Mark Lane <lmlane at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > However just because exchange functionality is needed doesn't mean
> > that you can't switch to Linux desktops. There are mail client options
> > that support exchange functionality for Linux and you can always run
> > outlook on a Linux box through Crossover Office.
>
> Please test it, with lots of application features, such as
> appointment alert pop-ups, on the 30 day demo.  In my
> experience, Crossover is merely a commercial version
> of wine emulator and only marginally better.   I can
> crash Microsoft applications in it, in about 2 minutes.
> You don't want to hear: "You did say
> Linux was more stable, didn't you?".

Yeah I have seen those problems. I was a beta tester for crossover
office when I worked for Hard Data. I used it for excel work mostly
but it was definitely buggy. Though for the most part when I turned
off clippy, most of my problems suddenly disappeared. Go figure. Also
there is a limited set of supported apps and versions in crossover
office. I was able to get some unsupported apps working but most
didn't. However they do offer alright support and have frequent
upgrades. I would definitely recommend testing it in your environment
and I would always stick with the supported versions of outlook and
other office apps in a production environment.

Win4lin or Vmware, may be a better solution than crossover office.
With that said you can still come across application problems when
running windows on a virtual computer, so you will still need to test
stuff.

--
Mark Lane, CET <lmlane at gmail.com>

!DSPAM:45e8abd240411494315492!