[nSLUG] NS OSS Foundation??

Oliver Doepner odoepner at gmail.com
Fri Mar 2 08:57:51 AST 2007

Hi Bob,

I think this is a great idea. I have worked over the last years for a
company in Germany that initiated a regional Open Source foundation as a
platform for FOSS in the governmental and small business sector.

They organize an annual conference with use case presentations and so
on. The name is "OpenSaar" because the region is the "Saarland" in
Southwest Germany: http://www.opensaar.de/

Here are some interesting pointers concerning FOSS in the governmental
sector:

Free and Open Source Software Overview and Preliminary Guidelines for
the Government of Canada (ironically an ASP site):
http://www.tbs-sct.gc.ca/fap-paf/oss-ll/foss-llo/foss-llo19_e.asp

Munich - windows to Linux Migration Guide:
http://engtech.ca/resources/2004/munich_windows_to_linux_migration_guide

Center of Open Source & Government
http://www.egovos.org/

An article about Windows-to-Linux Desktop Migration:
http://linux.sys-con.com/read/48127.htm

best regards
Oliver

--