[nSLUG] NS OSS Foundation?? [was]:Maritime Linux Shops [was] ubuntu iso a dud

Robert Ashley rb.ashley at gmail.com
Fri Mar 2 00:32:10 AST 2007

> I just completed the Certified Novell Salesperson exam (don't ask, I only
> did it to make up the numbers) and a huge part of it was about selling
> Linux, not only on the server but also on the desktop. The point made
> repeatedly in the materials is that they've customised Suse to make it as
> Windows-like as possible, "even down to using CTRL-C to copy and CTRL-V to
> paste" (!). They also suggested the ideal path for desktop upgrades would
> be to isolate groups of users; the best starting point would be things
> like single use users who have just one application they use all day as
> the primary focus of their job - call centres was one of the big examples
> there.

Hi Dop, hope you're doing well, getting plenty of luxurious brown ale.

I'd be interested in looking at this stuff, though a little resigned
that making stuff look as Window-like as possible is the best we do
right now. But if that's the present best option, well so be it.

> If you want to go through the PDFs to get an idea of how Novell is trying
> to get their Linux efforts sold (but avoid the videos, the scary bug-eyed
> woman made me paranoid after a very short period of time) you can pull
> them off http://www.novell.com/partners/training/academy/spresent.html .

Thanks, I'll take a look.

> > I think University buy-in is possible, but my nagging doubt hovers
> > over the question of the private sector. Could we talk to IBM, HP?
> > What other kinds of potential partners?
>
> I've done a lot of work with HP servers under Linux and they work well (in
> fact, I believe the nslug.ns.ca is still running on an old HP server I
> arranged for IMP Solutions to donate to the cause). I haven't done
> anything with IBM gear but I know other people who say they run well. I
> used Sun's early V60 and V65 servers which were basically just rebadged
> Intel servers; I haven't used anything more recent.

Speaking of donations. This ignites an idea for me of possibly setting
up a little Emergency Management Ops computer network. We had some
boxes donated to our EMO by Michelin Tire (Thanks Mich!), but they're
fallow right now (no staff with time yet).  We could maybe
interconnect a few key emergency personnel-- police,  fire, my office,
the Mayor our emergency coordinator. Right now there's nothing (except
phones and radios).

> I can't think of any other top-tier vendors off the top of my head that
> might have government programs involving Linux, but if you want, I could
> probably get one of our salesdroids at IMP to get in contact with you to
> reel off all the possibilities. I know that HP has all sorts of special
> government type programs but what the exact details are I don't know, as I
> try to stay far away from sales stuff (not always successfully). It might
> be possible to match it up with a special deal from Novell, too, then
> you'd have the support side available (phone support, at least).

Yeah, it wouldn't do any harm to discuss this with your people.

> > I suspect that one or several of our NSLUG gurus could easily manage a
> > basic OSS setup in our town offices. My pressing worry, however, would
> > be the continuity, immediacy, and reliability of expert support. One
> > idea I had was to create a "shadow" OSS system, completely redundant
> > of our existing system, with perhaps only 4 or 5 non-critical
> > workstations (no accounting or billing).
>
> Not a bad approach, and redundancy is always a good idea. The only issue I
> could foresee is the problem of having access to on-site support; I can't
> think of anyone nearby who does consulting, so you'd probably be looking
> at someone coming up from Halifax - unless you can persuade Donald Teed to
> pop over from Wolfville ;->

I glad you underwrite the redundancy approach. I respect your opinion
on this kind of stuff. So far, we've got two people in Wolfville,
then, Donald and Eugene. Given the risk-averse nature of gov, I'd have
to have robust fallback support, beyond individuals. It's not the
technical or logistical feasability which would be at issue, but the
political feasability. Which, of course, is why gov tends to follow
the most uninspiring procurement policies.

Thanks for your input, Dop.

Bob

!DSPAM:45e7a8ce310811669560673!