[nSLUG] help with Logitech webcam

Jack Warkentin jwark at eastlink.ca
Tue Jun 26 17:24:46 ADT 2007

Hi Dan

I have a Z-Star Microelectronics Corp ZC0301 WebCam that came
preinstalled on my AMD64 laptop, on which I am running Kubuntu 6.06
with both UDEV and HAL installed and running.

There is a KDE application called kde-hal-device-manager in a package
by the same name that gives a nice tree-structured view of all known
devices on the system. For the webcam, this shows that both the
device category and the linux subsystem are video4linux, and the
special device file (controlled by UDEV) is /dev/vide0.

I used Synaptic to install several packages that looked as if they
might be useful for using the webcam, one of which is called
camorama (package name and application name the same). I tried several
of those packages and got no joy until I tried camorama (that's with
two m's, no n).

As soon as it started up it showed my by then smiling face on the
laptop screen.

The lsmod command shows that there is a linux module called video
loaded. However, I presume that that is an alias and I have been
unable to find which actual driver module it corresponds to.

Hope the above helps.

Jack