[nSLUG] apt 0.7.2 is coming - some concerns

Jonathan Anderson jonathan.anderson at ieee.org
Mon Jun 11 14:01:04 ADT 2007

On June 8, 2007, Tony Rowe wrote:
> Sometimes I install [dummy] packages to get the "depends" or have a
> package installed in case it is needed sometime but rarely or never use
> it.  I don't want unused programs removed automatically by the
> package manager since I may want them some time.

Well, there is the "APT::Get::AutomaticRemove" option to configure whether or
not "install" and "remove" also run autoremove... I think the default is to
not run it, but I'm not sure.

Also, you can mark packages as "not automatic" with aptitude... "aptitude
unmarkauto [packagename]".

> In the case of automating the installation of recommends, I want to
> avoid doing unnecessary downloads with dialup

aptitude has a -R/--without-recommends option... perhaps apt-get will get one,
too?

It's funny, but in order to avoid aptitude's automagic features, you may need
to switch from apt-get to aptitude! :)

#!/jon
--
Jonathan Anderson