[nSLUG] Network Throughput

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Sun Jun 10 09:53:07 ADT 2007

On 6/9/07, Rich <budman85 at eastlink.ca> wrote:

>  Trying to determine why the connection to Eastlink is all of sudden
> having drops/pauses in any type of transmissions.
> [...].
>
>  Hmm..  sounds like there were a lot of modem swaps recently.  So, lets
> change this equipment, if anything breaks, just have them swap out the
> modems.
>  It would have been nice if they let us know, and we wouldn't be wasting
> time troubleshooting the d*mn thing!   Think of it, its been acting up for a
> week or more.  It only got worse recently.  I just took it as network
> congestion at work - we have that from time to time over the T1. I don't
> think its a dedicated line. It acts more like a fractional line.

Testing isn't wasted -- it gives you information that can be very useful
in the future.  The modem may well have diagnostics if you can find a
manual that tells how to run them.  The time to run diagnostics is when
things are working so you have a baseline for use when things aren't
working.

Last winter we bought a new iMac with an external USB modem.  The
modem would only connect at 28k, although the modem in our
Powerbook  reliably gets 47-48k.  The manual for the modem
chipset refers to "extensive diagnostics".  I was able to generate
diagnostic reports from the Apple modem and also a USR (showing
that the line should support 48k connections).  In the end, Apple give
us an Airport Extreme.

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia