[nSLUG] apt 0.7.2 is coming - some concerns

Tony Rowe ay986 at chebucto.ns.ca
Fri Jun 8 21:12:35 ADT 2007

Hi,

This is Debian/Ubuntu related.  I run sid over dialup on one of my boxes
and it seems I am in for a change which I have so far resisted, whether
I want it or not:

From: Michael Vogt <mvo at debian.org>
Newsgroups: gmane.linux.debian.devel.general,gmane.linux.debian.apt.devel
Subject: APT 0.7 for sid
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2007 00:59:38 +0200

Dear Friends,

I plan to do an apt 0.7.2 upload for sid this weekend. It's a big merge
of the version in debian/experimental and the version in Ubuntu.
[...]

- automatic removal of unused dependencies moved into libapt so that
  applications like synaptic, python-apt, update-manger etc directly
  benefit from it. A HUGE thanks to Daniel Burrows (one of my personal
  heros) for his work on this feature.
- automatic installation of recommends like aptitude
[...]

I have some concerns.

Sometimes I install [dummy] packages to get the "depends" or have a
package installed in case it is needed sometime but rarely or never use
it.  I don't want unused programs removed automatically by the
package manager since I may want them some time.

In the case of automating the installation of recommends, I want to
avoid doing unnecessary downloads with dialup so I object to being made
to download recommends as though they are depends.  Also, I have always
enjoyed looking up and learning about recommends and deciding myself
whether to install them or not, according to my purpose.

I never had a complaint about apt-get so I never migrated to aptitude or
friends.  I suppose I will get used to the new APT over time but I worry
that the transition is going to be a bumpy ride; that I will have to
fight with the new APT in order to keep the same sort of control over
package managing as I enjoy now with "legacy" APT.

...or are my apprehensions unfounded?

Tony