[nSLUG] Replaced CD drive - won't boot, won't play, players don't recognize

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Tue Jul 31 18:01:49 ADT 2007

On 7/31/07, Robert Ashley <rb.ashley at gmail.com> wrote:

> Here is after Bill's
> The failed "Read 10" packet command was:
>  "28 00 00 03 91 20 00 00 02 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 "
> end_request: I/O error, dev hdc, sector 935040
> Buffer I/O error on device hdc, logical block 233760
> Buffer I/O error on device hdc, logical block 233761
>
> Bill's would appear to indicate a different secto error. You indicate
> "If different blocks
> > turn up bad, it's probably the motor or positioning head that's gone awry,
> > or the head needs cleaning."

I had errors like this with a CD ROM earlier this year.    I removed the
drive, took off the front panel and case, and cleaned the dog hairs
out of the mechanism.  Since then it has been working fine.

It has been a while since I needed any cdrom entries in fstab.   If gnome/kde
doesn't automagically mount the drive (e.g., because X is broken), the
command line can be used:

$ sudo mkdir /mnt/cd
$ sudo mount -t iso9660 /dev/sdc /mnt/cd -o ro,uid=me,gid=me
[...]
$ sudo eject /dev/sdc

I get the /dev bit from "dmesg |tail"

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia