[nSLUG] Replaced CD drive - won't boot, won't play, players don't recognize

Rich budman85 at eastlink.ca
Tue Jul 31 17:31:16 ADT 2007

Robert Ashley wrote:
> Hi Rich,
>
> I tried your suggestion changing ...
>
>>  Change   udf,iso9660 to  either  iso9660 or auto  (which is better), then
>> the system will auto detect the file system type
>>

> like so...
>
> bob at ashley:~$
> /dev/hdc        /media/cdrom0   auto user,noauto     0       0
> /dev/scd0       /media/cdrom1   udf,iso9660 user,noauto     0
>
> The drive seems to behave somewhat differently, the light coming on,
> and the spin up/spin down over and over ceased, which, to me seemed
> like progress. On a reboot, the machine seemed to think longer about
> booting the cd, light on, consistent whirrr, and all that, so I was
> half-excited. But alas, same result.

Try with auto again, and then try

mount -a      once the CD is in the drive ( are you trying to mount an
audio CD or a data CD - like the Linux install CD? )

or

mount /dev/hdc  /media/cdrom0

Also, try    cd /dev

ls -al cd*

and

ls -al hd*

to see your perms on these devices
paste the output here

> Then I tried taking the auto out and putting in iso9660.
> /dev/hdc        /media/cdrom0   iso9660 user,noauto     0       0
> /dev/scd0       /media/cdrom1   udf,iso9660 user,noauto     0       0
>
> Nada. I get this warning when trying Gnome's CDPlayer
> /dev/cdrom does not appear to point to a valid CD device. This may be because:
> a) CD support is not present in your machine
> b) You do not have the correct permissions to access the CD drive
> c) /dev/cdrom is not the CD drive.
>
> Why does this refer to /dev/cdrom when all my refs keep the label
> cdrom0 or cdrom1. I have no such place called /dev/cdrom, but I do
> have /dev/cdrom1.

Gnome cd player defaults to this device.  You can change it, in the
preferences.

> Well, at least your suggestion sounded good, and I was getting ready
> to get my beer money out to buy you one!

:) hehe  drat...  the only thing I could drink was Guiness and even that
was watered down...
Either I got use to drinking real beer in the Maritimes, or the US beer
was always crap. hehe